2021 will be a bit different than previous years, no Valentine Dinner, you are on your own there. We hope to have special chocolates and BYOB in the theatre. Again we are asking filmmakers to make short romance films the same way we have done in the past competitions: register>on start date get prompts (line of dialog, prop and sound effect to use)>make your film>deliver your film back in two weeks>come to the screening.
BUT this year we are offering another type of competition in the same time period! Love song music videos! If you are not a songwriter look for one, there are plenty. Make your music video following the rules, in two weeks. There are no prompts to include, just make sure it is a love song.
Please read and copy rules and forms below.
LOVE NOTES SHORT FILM AND ORIGINAL MUSIC VIDEO
COMPETITION OFFICIAL RULES
- For short film or music video. Register your team on the official site https://ccclassiccinema.org/ shop/. Register as member, non-member or student, as applies. A team may be as few as one person and as many people as the filmmaker determines. Registration links are also posted on our C5 2nd Unit Facebook page. Registration closes 15-minutes before the competition begins. Registration may be done online before the competition begins. If a team must withdraw from the competition, no refunds of registration fees will be given. Each team must have one designated contact person, or team leader, in case the event coordinators must contact the team during the competition, include phone for text and email for instructions to be sent. Only one film per registration fee. If a team wants to submit a second film, they must pay an additional registration fee. Our official Facebook page is located at: https://www.facebook.com/5CCCCC
- For short films. Prompts will be emailed to registered teams at 12:00 PM on the day the competition begins. Prompts will include a prop, a sound effect, a line of dialogue.
Prompts must be included in all submitted films. All teams will receive the same prompts. If a film fails to meet this requirement, it may be disqualified.
To be clear. Only short narrative films need to follow the prompts, Music Videos are not expected to utilize the prompts.
3. For music videos, original music should be used. If utilizing an artists song besides your own you MUST secure rights and permissions from the original artist and, if applicable, the publishing company. The theme is romance/love song/feel good please see item 9 for restrictions.
4. For short film or music video. Teams have exactly two weeks to make a short film or music video. Films are due at 12:00 PM two weeks from the date the competition begins. NO EXTENSIONS WILL BE GIVEN.
5. For short films. Submitted films must be between 5 and 9 minutes in length. Incomplete films, or films considered work-in-progress, will not be accepted. All costs associated with producing a film for the competition are solely the responsibility of the registered teams.
6. For music videos. Submitted music videos must be under 5 minutes in length.
7. For short film or music video. Teams will be provided with certain paperwork, like Talent & Crew Release Forms, that must be completed and submitted with their films. If a team fails to submit all necessary paperwork with their film, it may be disqualified. Currently, forms will be sent with your emails on day of competition start. In future, go to https://ccclassiccinema.org/2ndunit to locate and download all required forms.
8. For short film or music video. Submitted films may not include copyrighted material unless the team has express permission from the copyright holder to use said material. Teams must provide proof of any such permission. Copyrighted material includes, but is not limited to, music, video clips, literary works and any other material created by anyone other than the team. By submitting a film, the team agrees to these Official Rules, and further agrees to indemnify and hold the event coordinators harmless from any claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the event coordinators due to or arising out of the team’s film, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation.
9. For short film or music video. All films will adhere to public access radio and television rules with regard to decency, out of respect for our broad audience, ranging from 8-99 years of age. Please be cognizant of the sensibilities of our entire audience. It is imperative that none of the films contain any nudity whatsoever and that there be no scenes of drug use or of sexual situations – real or simulated. Films must also not contain excessive violence and/or strong language.
If you have questions, please contact organizers before the submission deadline to allow time for adjustments/edits. Event coordinators and judges reserve the right to determine if any (questionable) material violates the intended purpose of the project, thereby disqualifying the submission from further consideration in the competition.
10. For short film or music video. All films must be delivered via online transfer using WeTransfer. If you are unable to use this service, please contact the event coordinators to work out a mutually agreeable delivery system. The film received on We Transfer is to be the top quality for screening. Please upload to You Tube as well as a private listing and send us that link for the judges.
No responsibility or liability is assumed by the event coordinators for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the competition: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the competition Facebook page in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Facebook page; unauthorized human or nonhuman intervention of the operation of the competition, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the competition, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the competition.
11. A screening and judging event will be scheduled on a day shortly after the end of the competition. A live panel of judges will view all films in both categories and score each film on many things, like best use of prompts, best technical attributes, etc. Awards will be presented to the films that score the highest. All decisions made by the judges will be deemed final. Be sure to complete paper work and submit at the same time as the film. You are to select category (categories) you wish your film be judged.
12. These Official Rules may be changed at any time, without warning, by the event coordinators. Reasonable efforts will be made to inform the teams of any changes in these Official Rules that occur during the competition.
Revised January 13, 2021
Talent, Music, Location releases and Judging categories will be emailed on the day of the competition start.